Sunday, March 20, 2011

Whoopie Pie Experiments


Today I made whoopie pies for the first time, inspired by my trip to Maine and the delicious Friars' Bake House version.

I perused a lot of variations in my Making Whoopies book... Since they were such a regional treat for so long there are a lot of longstanding family recipes that use different tricks and turns. I will spare you the knowledge of all the stuff that goes into these guys (trust me, you don't want to know why they taste so good), but basically there are two schools of thought: pro marshmallow fluff v. pro egg whites.

Although the Friars don't use fluff, I was reluctant to make the egg white version since I am testing them out for Stolen Goods Bake Shop purposes. All the grandmas in the book say "no one's ever gotten sick!," but why take the chance?

I intended on making mini cakes, but tablespoon dollops of batter spread a bit more than I thought they would. And upon first tasting I thought the filling was a bit more buttery than necessary, and definitely very different than the Friars' version, but when I tried an assembled whoopie pie... They are pretty awesome. I think I'll try another recipe next time I make them, but I have to say, it may be impossible to make a bad whoopie pie.

1 comment:

Aunt D said...

Whoopie Pie sounds great! One of my absolute favorites as a kid. Can't wait to try one.