Monday, September 13, 2010

Seven Questions

I have always been intrigued by the art of the interview. Terry Gross's "Fresh Air" is definitely the podcast I listen to most, I love "Inside the Actor's Studio" (I can hear Mr. SevPrez groaning now) even though James Lipton is highly ridiculous, The Selby is sweeping the design nation with his lovable lists of hand written questions, and who doesn't like the Proust Questionnaire? People are fascinating, and you never know what you're going to elicit by probing personalities.


A few years ago I developed a website to prove my hypothesis that everyone is unrepeatable, by giving friends and strangers alike a platform to acknowledge the people that make their awesome life possible — you know, like the Oscars, but for everybody else. With the Seven Questions, I'd like to take it a step further, and get to know a little bit more about the people in my life, and the faces in the crowds I walk through everyday as I go about my business. To extend an analogy I used on my first project, Jamie Foxx is not inherently more interesting than you are. In fact, in the years since his Oscar win, we are finding out that he is probably way less fascinating than we had anticipated (hello embarrassing music career). 


So, first up at bat is my brother, Jason Watt, who aside from being an entrepreneur, is an Ironman and ultramarathon runner, a husband and a father, a consumate story teller and a goofball. I would also call him an amateur zen koan master. You'll see...


Q 1. What's something you wish more people knew?
A 1. I wish more people knew about nothing. The real nothing.


Q 2. Current sources of inspiration? (Books, websites, movies, music, people, places, food...)
A 2. "The Right Stuff" (Editor's note: he has loved this movie since forever.)

Q 3. What did you want to be when you grew up? What do you do now?
Q 3. President of the United States. Branding.


Q 4. When you look back on your first love, how do you think your idea of love has changed or stayed the same? What have you learned from then to now?
A 4. I learned that love is not then but now.


Q 5. What is your biggest weakness? (Spiritual, disciplinary, dietary.)
A 5. Peppermint patties.










Q 6. Three things you want or are working toward in your future?
A 6. Peace on Earth and branding in its purest form answers all questions. Getting out of the way of my daughter.


Q 7. And finally, for my records, chocolate/chocolate, chocolate/vanilla, vanilla/vanilla or other (please specify)? (This is helpful in case I am ever bringing you dessert.)
A 7. Chocolate/chocolate.



6 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this idea. I think you should answer the questions about yourself. Maybe I'll answer them about myself on my blog. Hooray! :-) And in my next life I want to be Terry Gross.

sevprez said...

yes, answer the questions! for your blog or mine! glad you like the new "feature."

Anonymous said...

Jason Watt for President!

Anonymous said...

Love this, but, I have to admit that it makes me crave more depth the same way reading the interview in the Sunday NYT magazine has me begging for more.

Marianne

sevprez said...

hope i am not as sour as deborah solomon! she's a pistol!

Peggy D. said...

Great questions. Great answers. And I'm related to both these people! How great is that?