Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Don't Call It A Comeback

On Sunday I fulfilled one of my goals for 2009, which was to train and run well in the Long Branch Half Marathon. It was a gray, drizzly day, but armed with my visor, some $1 gloves, and my homemade Ray Allen sleeves, I managed to achieve my goal of breaking nine minute mile splits. 1:57:34. I was pretty pleased with myself, since my personal best time of 1:53:12 at the Philadelphia Distance Run came five years ago, and it's been many 2 hours plus halfs since then.

Next up on the agenda, the Spring Lake Five on Memorial Day weekend. I put a little three week training program together with the aspiration that I finish in under 40. This is also something I haven't done in five years, but I think it's worth a shot.

After a few more hot and short local races through June and July, I'll be upping the speed work and taking on tougher nine week training program for the Philly Distance Run on September 20th. Then maybe the LBI 18 miler... And beyond??? 

One race at a time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice! My goal this summer is also to break two hours. I just did the Indy half in 2:04. BUT, I didn't train so I'm optimistic.

sevprez said...

That's awesome! I hear the Indy race is a great half. 2:04 is a sweet time for not training! You must be in great shape!