Friday, November 6, 2009

2010 Is Closer Than You Think

Being in the stationery industry, I have already come to terms with the end of 2009. I sent the 2011 calendar to press last month. In fact, I've even caught myself dating things 2010. I'm ready, and I'm here to get you ready. 


I didn't have a calendar in my office at home in 2009. I can't say I really missed it, since I keep everything in my date book, but my wall looked a little sad and empty. And since I don't want to end up with some Ansel Adams calendar from Borders, this year I am hunting down the coolest wall calendars for sale on the internet and reporting them here. (I'm limiting my list to wall calendars because I think those tiny card-sized calendars are pretty but ultimately useless.)


First there's the Dolphin Studio Calendar, which is pretty special but very pricey. But once you read about the FFrench ffamily, you may decide they have earned their $50 through sheer adorability.













Next up there's Nikki McClure, who you've already met. Her calendar is reliably thoughtful and easy on the eyes.


















Now this calendar from illustrator Nicole J. Georges defies description, but I will say that I thought it was the coolest calendar on all of Etsy (and yes I searched all forty pages of calendars.) Please don't be offended by the seller's description of it. I'm not sure what it means, I just like the illustrations, like this one...
















This one by Red Prairie Press is pretty cool, but I also find it a little disturbing. To each their own.  

















This Circus Train calendar is not actually what I mean by wall calendar, but I'm making an exception because I have a real thing for circus trains dating back to a single digit birthday party.  Way to be on the same wavelength Lisa Rupp Designs.


















Lastly I have mixed emotions about including this calendar by Kate Spade. I find that I like Kate Spade's marketing materials better than their actual products, but that's okay. What really bothers me is that I like this calendar because it reminds me of Maira Kalman. But it's not Maira Kalman. But she doesn't make a wall calendar, even though I suggested it to her on her Facebook page. Maybe you'll be able to decide whether it's a blatant rip-off of my favorite living artist.



















Not sure which one I'll order... I think it's between Dolphin Studio and the Queer Animal Odyssey. What do you think? Do you have any other recommendations, or are you just trying to get through the holidays?

No comments: