Friday, January 22, 2010

Felt For All Occasions

I have been meaning to make a felt wreath for a year. I was inpsired by Crispina Ffrench's (daughter of the Dolphin Studio Ffrenches) tattered scrappy wreaths, but my taste is a little more "hemmed" in than hers. So I had an idea to make 3D representations of roses out of the felt, which I actually got around to doing last Presidents' Day. They have been hanging out in a Ziplock bag in my craft drawer ever since. 


So when I found myself on a shopping expedition to Michael's with my best friend and her seven-year-old daughter, I picked up a wooden wreath frame and a hot glue gun, and wouldn't you know it, 6 hours later my wreath was completed.


I made it with Valentine's Day in mind, but it's the kind of thing I would keep up until I got sick of the color red (which doesn't happen very often.) But, as it turns out, I'm going to give it to my mom for her birthday. I always try to get or make her something sentimental or one-of-a-kind (she is a one-of-a-kind type of lady), or do something for her, as was the case with her dinner party last year


So this year, she'll be receiving the long awaited felt rose wreath! 




















Here's a close-up on the roses, which I made by folding and raveling a spiral of felt into a rose-type shape, fashioning the ends to look kind of like leaves, and sewing through the middle to secure.



















I'll also be helping her host a birthday brunch this Sunday and baking the birthday cake, a recipe for Olive Oil Cake that came highly recommended from a friend. 

No comments: